The Tree That Grew Out Of a Wall | #ThursdayTreeLove

Have you ever seen something like this before? I had shared this very tree in an earlier post. Would it surprise you if I told you that the dilapidated building it stuck out from, was actually seven floors tall and that the tree was growing right up there, at the top floor?

While we love old buildings that make for excellent photographs, and there is no dearth of those in Kolkata, the thought of seeing a tree growing out of a wall did seem unusual. My 14-year-old had a few questions that even I had been asking myself.

“How come it’s growing up there?”

“How did it get there in the first place?”

“Is it growing without any soil?”

Someday, hopefully, we may find the answers. But, it is amazing that even broken fragmented walls have the ability to nurture life forms in this way.

********

Joining Parul today for #thursdaytreelove which is a photo feature on her blog that brings you beautiful trees from different places every second and fourth Thursday of the month. If you would like to play along, post a picture of a tree on your blog and link it back to her post.

• Gavin Fowke

Interesting photo!

• Esha MD

Thank you, Gavin.

• G Angela

wow ! I have seen a tree growing on the seventh floor, amazing and so nice to connect with you. I was having a difficulty to get to your page, have been trying for long – today was a lucky day i tried and got to your page.

• Esha MD

Oh, thank you, Angela! Sorry to hear that you’ve had trouble getting to my blog. Wonder what was the reason for it. Please do ping me if you ever have a problem accessing my site in the future.

• G Angela

🙂 🙂 I meant never seen a tree growing up on the seventh floor……

• Esha MD

I know what you meant. 🙂

• Parul

I have seen many trees like this. I would like to believe that the root was always there but it got under the wall and then with time and seasons, the roots let a tree grow. My theory! 🙂

• Esha MD

You’re right, Parul. That’s what I too assume, has happened. Not over a few days but over a few years! Interesting how a dead wall can support a living tree, isn’t it?

• Archana

A survivor tree! Yes, in Pune we do have trees growing out of walls.. usually they are the Ficus variety. Birds eat the Ficus fruit and the seeds are dispersed via bird droppings.

• Esha MD

Oh yes, I’m sure in many parts of old cities we can see that happen. Just that our eyes don’t get to see such things more often, which leave us perplexed when we actually do see such trees!

• Chandra

Wow! Talk about strange things in strange places. But wouldn’t it be nice to have a tree growing in your home?

• Esha MD

Oh, yes, it would definitely do! It would be lovely to have a tree growing within the home. Would be quite a unique experience!