A Warm Welcome In a Distant Land | #WordlessWednesday

When we toured South Africa, last April, one of the highlights of our trip was the experience of staying at offbeat places in rather remote locations, away from the buzz of big towns and cities, where we’d usually spend the night, savouring the local food, listening to the amazing stories shared by our hosts, before we’d retire for the night and get set for another long drive, the next morning.

The picture I’m sharing today is from a lovely guest house by the name—the ‘De Denne Guest House’, that was located on a working ostrich farm, just outside Oudtshoorn. We not only rested our aching heels here, but also got to watch one of the most glorious sunsets, while relaxing at the pool and enjoying spectacular views of the Oliphant and Swartberg mountain ranges.

But, what caught my eye first, when I set foot here, was this absolutely gorgeous signage, hanging on the wall, at the very entrance to our cottage. I was amazed at the way the artist had conceived it—what an exquisite piece of art! Since I couldn’t carry it back home with me, I captured it in my camera! 🙂

What do you think of this piece of art? Isn’t it just lovely?

Wordless Wednesday 78

*********

If you are new to #WordlessWednesday, but would like to participate, here’s how you can join Natasha and me—Just follow our three easy steps:

1. Post a picture on your blog that speaks for itself. It could be from your adventures, experiments, life’s quirky moments, travels or just plain random shots. Absolutely anything that stoked your being.

See you on the other side of the frame.

Happy #WW. 🙂

• Patrick Weseman

I love the offbeat. Nice art. Thanks for hosting and I hope that you have a wonderful week.

Oh, glad you do, Patrick! Thank you for visiting and wishing you a fabulous week ahead too!

• Keerthi Vydyula

Wow! It has a certain rustic look to it which is incredibly beautiful!

It does, doesn’t it, Keerthi? So glad to see you here after what seems like months! Hope to see more posts from you in the coming days!

• Pri

It’s a lovely signage. Isn’t it amazing how sometimes these mere little knick-knacks can instantly warm up our hearts, especially when we are far away from home…

Loved reading the story behind it! 🙂

Thank you. You’re right, Priyanka—little things do make us happy, and this place had to be one of them, for us. The signage does have an old world charm to it, no? Happy to see you stop by and share your thoughts.

• Kalpana

Lovely post and it indeed is an exquisite and unique welcome board. Loved it.

Thank you, Kalpana. It is a very eye-catching piece and so aesthetically designed too! Yaaay!!! So happy to know you joined us for #ww this week!

I would love to have one of those in my home too. It’s indeed beautiful.
    Please do share pictures of sunsets too. Would love to see them.

Oh yes, who wouldn’t? So pretty they are. I am compiling the pics…have posted some and some yet to go into the future posts. Thanks for stopping by, Rajlakshmi. Seeing you here after a long long time. 🙂

Beautiful art and a beautiful butterfly. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you, dear Alana! They are so pretty, that I only kept wishing I had one at the entrance to my home too. Alas! Wishes will be wishes!!

• Sonia Chatterjee

I have been seeing so many gorgeous pics from your South Africa tour and reading the stories behind the clicks, It makes me want to take a vacation. This signage has something rustic yet enchanting feel about it. Linked up my post with #WW.

Oh, you absolutely must plan a trip to SA, sometime.. .maybe when your little one is a little older, so he can enjoy the animals and the safari better then. I really wanted to write detailed posts about the trip we took this April, but somehow always have got too much on my plate and couldn’t get down to putting them down in a post.So nice to hear that You’ve joined us this week for #WW! Will hop over to yours now. 🙂

• BellyBytes

So happy to see you back Skygirl. Enjoyed this post too. I did find the sign a bit cheesy though but then the charm of small places is the frank warmth and openness of the people who welcome you to their homes and hearts.

It’s so simple and beautiful. I like how it looks like it was done at home. There is certain familiarity about it.

• Natasha

Beauty in simplicity. Sometimes it’s not just the mere objects, like a signing but the entire experience that has us bowled over.

I would love to have signing like that maybe with a different caption.