Skywatch -#19

Every Friday I bring you a slice of the sky that is mine to treasure, a sky that I share with the countless millions and yet, is mine. Here is a sky shot from one of our travels:

sunset:flt

If you’ve ever been there, you’ll know how watching a sunset from a flight can sometimes be a very beautiful experience. You get an ‘other-worldly’ feeling, as you get to see the sun setting from a few thousand feet above the ground. In fact, the sun is visible to us, even when the land below has already plunged into darkness.

This was shot while we were flying between two layers of clouds, one below and a few above us. The brightness was almost blinding but only on the western edge of the sky. The East was almost totally dark and visibility was zero! It was as if the sky was a canvas on which an artist had dabbed bold splashes of red and gold!

It was a moment when you’d be compelled to leave that book you were reading or the magazine you were flipping through, to watch something so captivating. One didn’t have to be a nature lover to do so, for that matter. Almost instantaneously, I remembered reading Rumi’s words somewhere, which went like this:

Only from the heart can you touch the sky.

With that to ponder over, I take your leave this Friday morning. Hope you’ve had a great week and now looking forward to a wonderful weekend ahead. Whatever you do, I hope you take the time out to do the things you love the most. Over and above all, hope you can pause, take a deep breath and recharge your batteries for the week to come. See you all again next week! 🙂

Linking this with #Skywatch Friday, a community of great sky watchers presenting you with stunning sky views from all around the world.

• Bill Nicholls

Nicely taken from a plane, not a sight you see everyday

• Esha Mookerjee Dutta

Thank you Bill 🙂 You’re right, not a common sight at all!

• Vicky

Such beautiful colours in the sky from the sky….

• Magnus

Excellent shot!

• patgarcia

Yes, I have been there. I was on the way from Atlanta to California in the late evening, the sun was setting as we flew toward the west coast and as I crossed four time zones I was able to catch the awesome beauty of a planet made for humanity.

Also thank you for posting. I have been trying to find the Skywatch post and link since I first visited your blog and read one of your skywatch posts. You can’t imagine the thrill I had this morning when I saw your post skywatch 19.

Wishing you too a great weekend. Now I will post my sky from Germany.

Shalom aleichem,
    Patricia

• Esha Mookerjee Dutta

Thank you so much Pat! What a delight to hear from you after all these months…Your trip sounded very exciting to me…so much of that travel experience to catch Earth’s beauty.
      Keep your posts coming…I’m looking forward to your #skywatch post too 🙂 Have a great weekend 🙂

• Alana Mautone (@RamblinGarden)

Beautiful capture. I haven’t flown that much. I haven’t seen a sunset. I might have seen a sunrise, but we were flying in extremely foggy conditions (and had to land in them, at JFK Airport no less). It actually was a bit frightening.

• Esha Mookerjee Dutta

Thank you, Alana! I can imagine how difficult it can get to land in the midst of fog at JFK…Been there 4 years back!!! Hope things are safe now!

• Dashy

Wow, that is an amazing capture! You’re so right, this would make us stop reading to simply gaze up at this beauty!

• Esha Mookerjee Dutta

Thanks a lot, Dashy! Glad to know you think so too 🙂

• inquisitivegeet

That is a beautiful picture Esha. I’ve never experienced a sunset view from flight and now looking at this picture, it sure has become my wish list!

It’s simply breathtaking!

Cheers
    Geets

• Esha Mookerjee Dutta

Thank you so much Geets. The sight is well worth trying, so next time you get a chance, definitely don’t give a miss.

• harmsvuy5

What a refreshing post! Beautiful photo too!

• ewok1993

Oh that is first-class skywatching, if you ask me.

Worth a Thousand Words

• vishalbheeroo

Breath-taking and divine view Esha:)

• Photo(Geo)grapher