Seeing the Light | #wordlesswednesday

“Look not at what is contrary to propriety; listen not to what is contrary to propriety; speak not what is contrary to propriety; make no movement which is contrary to propriety”

—Confucius, c. 500 BC

Couldn’t help capturing this at the Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok. With a few hours to kill before catching our onward flight to Tokyo Narita, we decided to check out the duty-free shops there. And then, this caught my eye. Incredibly cute and wise—was my first response to it.

“Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.”

It made me ponder on how all the negative things that are happening “out there” are out of our control until we can control what’s happening inside us. How we control our feelings and react to external events depends on our mental make-up as well as our state of mind at the time. But, what we cannot deny is the fact that we alone have the power to respond to these events. In the right way.

But, do we exercise this power as often as we should? Do you? I struggle with it, a lot of the time. Sometimes, it seems to be one of our biggest struggles in life. Would you agree or disagree?

*********

New to #WordlessWednesday but would like to participate? Well, here’s how you can join Natasha and me. Just follow our three easy steps:

1. Post a picture on your blog that speaks for itself. It could be from your adventures, experiments, life’s quirky moments, travels or just plain random shots. Or absolutely anything that stoked your being. Or made you think.

See you on the other side of the frame. Happy #WW.

Please Note: In case you are unable to add your link to either of our posts, please feel free to reach out to us at:

em.dutta@gmail.com or natashawrites@gmail.com

********

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

Those are cute and – hand crocheted hats? That makes them even more wonderful.

I so agree, Esha!
    All that happens in life is not always going to be as per our expectations or liking. We have to accept Life as it is, ignore all that we cannot tolerate and live with what we can. My mum keeps advising me to just control the way I respond to situations and people, because I can’t control the situations and the people!
    At times, when the mind cooperates, this feels easy, but at times when the mind is not ready to assist you, it becomes annoying, seeing all that’s happening around!

That’s so sweet and I loved the thoughts that you shared. True that with so much happening around, it is hard to exercise the necessary control. Though I do believe that the thoughtful ones do it well.

• Deb Nance at Readerbuzz

It’s like the quote from the man in the concentration camp that says they can take everything away from us except the power to control our own thoughts.

• Veronica Lee

Those are sooooooo CUTE! Very wise words indeed.

Happy WW!

It is indeed hard to not be impacted with what is going around. I find it tough too … The feeling of Frustration and anger rise very quickly. Sometimes I have to distract myself to keep only positive thoughts.

• Anamika Agnihotri

Struggling with controlling our ways of reacting is a real struggle. There are certain relationships where it is extremely necessary to respond and not react but all the more difficult. We may excel in responding to the whole world but tend to fail in that already difficult relationship.
    The dolls are quite though 🙂

• Natasha

Those Buddha dolls are just so delightful.

Yes, it is for us to chose how we want to respond, instead of giving in to reactions of the mind. We are in control of our thoughts, words and actions. Their might be a storm brewing outside of us, but we need to keep our inner calm intact albeit. Hard to do in many situations, but that’s what is best done for ones peace of mind and soul.

Lovely post and equally befitting thoughts to go with it dear Esha.
    Have a blessed weekend. I hope you take some time to unwind and declutter your mind, and just relax.
    Sending big love and light.
    Hugs <3

• Corinne Rodrigues

Loved the statues, Esha.

And it’s true – the amount of energy we expend on the wrong causes, is just not funny. Thanks for a great reminder!

PS: I was a bit intrigued by the word ‘propriety’ in the Confucius quote.