Wordless Wednesday – 22

WW Pic #22: ‘Mysterious Object’

Amazed to discover something like this, so thought of sharing it. This rare spectacular specimen of bladelike crystals is actually a naturally occurring mineral called Stibnite (composed of Antimony and Sulphur) and is the largest on display anywhere in the world. This image was taken at the Natural History Museum, New York.

(Linking up with Wordless Wednesday.)

• Balaka

pencils?

No dear 🙂 Try again…

• Ramya

A stack of pins sticked to a magnet. Looks like that 😊

• Suzy

What an interesting specimen. Never knew this existed. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much, Suzy.

• Payal Agarwal

Interesting!

Beautiful! I saw it on your IG feed and couldn’t guess what it is. thanks for sharing. pretty unique 🙂

Thanks, Parul. Glad you liked it. When I came across the image last week I found it unique and was keen to share it for the WW post. 🙂

• Shilpa Arya

Interesting piece.

• zippiknits

Mineral specimen maybe a cluster of radial horneblende. Please tell us! Geologists wish to know. 🤓

Of course, would love to share the little I know about it. This rare spectacular specimen of blade-like crystals is actually a naturally occurring mineral called Stibnite (composed of Antimony and Sulphur) and is the largest on display anywhere in the world.
      Shot at the Natural History Museum, New York, two weeks ago.

• zippiknits

I’ve heard of it but never collected any. It’s really gorgeous. Thanks for answering about it.

Oh, that’s okay. You’re welcome. 🙂

• Alana Mautone (@RamblinGarden)

Showed to my husband, who was a geology major (many, many years ago!) no, he didn’t know what it was!

Its a comparatively recent find I’m pretty sure, Alana because it seemed to baffle quite a few people, including a Chemistry teacher who said he’s never come across this earlier. My 12 year old seems to be very engrossed with this new find though!

• shalzmojo

This is really incredible. When I first saw it, I assumed it was a coral formation for I have seen one like this on a sea side holiday.
    Nature is simply amazing!!

Yes, Shalini. It does look like a coral formation…Nature does amaze us truly!

• upasna1987

Thanks for sharing the info and pic Esha.